Martin has over 25 years’ experience of specialising in all facets of dispute resolution in the infrastructure, construction, engineering, energy and manufacturing sectors both nationally and internationally. He works with clients in the context of risk management involving litigation, arbitration and adjudication and has extensive experience of alternative dispute resolution and specifically mediation, early neutral evaluation and expert determination.
He has a track record of providing strategic advice delivering solutions and commercial outcomes for clients in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Legal 500 describes Martin as “exemplary, pragmatic, available and supportive”. Chambers highlight his “pragmatic, sensible advice, which helps clients manage issues which otherwise might lead to litigation. He keeps his eye firmly based on the result you’re trying to achieve and gets you there as fast and as cost-effective as possible”.
Martin is an accredited and practising mediator with ADR Group, one of the major mediation providers in the UK and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and the Society of Construction Law.
Away from the office environment Martin undertakes the following roles and activities in the business, charity and educational sectors:
• Private Sector Board member of the Sheffield City Region Local Enterprise Partnership (SCR LEP)
• Chair of the Sheffield City Region Local Enterprise Partnership Property & Construction Sector Group
• Trustee of the Burton Street Foundation in Sheffield working with children and adults with learning and physical disabilities
• The University of Sheffield School of Law Business Advisory Board
• The Common Purpose Executive Board
• The Work-wise Executive (inspiring skills and employability between businesses and young people)
• Trustee of the Herbert Hughes Memorial Trust; and
• School governor at Sheffield Springs Academy
He is very proud to have studied law at the University of Sheffield, from where he graduated in 1983.